Jeff has a vibrant domestic and international environmental law practice. In addition to his domestic practice, which includes representing a large multi-national enterprise in the largest Superfund matter in the US, Jeff regularly represents non-US companies with respect to US environmental matters. When environmental issues arise for clients domiciled outside of the US, Jeff is called upon to provide strategic advice based both on the US experience and his extensive international business experience. His clients have included companies from Argentina, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, India, Russia, and the UK. Jeff is also retained on a regular basis by international law firms that do not have US environmental practices. In comments reported by Chambers, Jeff is highly regarded as “an excellent lawyer who communicates well and listens to the client.”
Jeff’s extensive experience includes hazardous substance and toxic tort litigation; environmental permitting and approvals; resolution of federal, state and local regulatory enforcement matters; environmental impact assessments; historic preservation reviews; contaminated site remediation; brownfield redevelopment; and environmental insurance coverage. His clients include public and privately-held companies, governmental and non-profit development agencies, real estate developers, financial institutions, and private equity funds.
Jeff is the founder of the Environmental Program at the Vance Center for International Justice at the New York City Bar, which focuses on providing pro bono advice on environmental issues around the world.
- Chambers & Partners
- Best Lawyers in America
- Law Business Research, International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers
- Practical Law Company, Cross-Border Environmental Handbook
- New York Super Lawyers
- Litigated case establishing client’s right to enter state brownfield program and to be eligible for tax credits
- Successfully facilitated transfer of federal property to non-profit Brooklyn development agency, including federal and state environmental reviews, as well as historic preservation review.
- Successfully negotiated sale of former oil refinery property owned by a US public company for cleanup and redevelopment as a waterfront park and high-rise development.
- Advised international joint venture regarding application of EPA standards to a facility in Northern Africa
- With local counsel, advised US private equity fund in connection with investigation and remediation of a contaminated site in France
- Advised Canadian real estate company regarding purchase and remediation of hundreds of acres of former mining property in the Western United States, including development of luxury housing and a luxury hotel
- Successfully represented non-profit organization in arbitration concerning construction delays arising from discovery of solvents during building renovation
- Chair, Environmental Law Committee, New York City Bar Association (September 2012-September 2014)
- Founder of Environmental Program at the Vance Center for International Justice at the New York City Bar Association
- Managing Environmental Risk in Business Transactions, ALI-ABA Environmental Law Conference, Washington, D.C., February 2014
- Impact of Climate Change on Business Strategy, Conference Board, December 2013
- US Environmental Developments, UKELA, Cambridge, UK, July 2013
- Lessons Learned In the US Regarding Lender Liability For Pollution, Brazilian Bankers Association (FEBREBAN), Sao Paulo, Brazil, May 2013
- Regulatory Best Practices For Remediation of Toxic Legacy Contamination, co-author (for the Blacksmith Institute)
- Columbia Law School, 1985, Charles Evans Hughes Fellow
- Columbia College, 1981
- Hon. Myron H. Thompson, Chief Judge, U.S. District Court, M.D. Alabama