| Jeffrey B. Gracer, Principal
Mr. Gracer is Chair of the New York City Bar Association's Environmental Law Committee and has been recognized by independent rating agencies, including Chambers & Partners, as a leading environmental practitioner.
His extensive experience includes hazardous substance and toxic tort litigation; environmental permitting and approvals; resolution of federal, state and local regulatory enforcement matters; environmental impact assessments; historic preservation reviews; contaminated site remediation; brownfield redevelopment; and environmental insurance coverage. His clients include public and privately-held companies, governmental and non-profit development agencies, real estate developers, financial institutions, and private equity funds.
Mr. Gracer is frequently retained by non-US clients and international law firms in connection with US environmental matters.
- Representation of global company's US subsidiary in the Passaic River Superfund matter.
- Representation of privately-held corporate landowner in litigation against the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation establishing eligibility of site in West Chelsea, Manhattan for brownfield tax credits; remediation of site under New York State's Brownfield Cleanup Program; and negotiations with prior industrial owner regarding reimbursement of cleanup costs.
- Representation of publicly-listed realty trust in connection with remediation and redevelopment of contaminated site in Harlem under New York State's Brownfield Cleanup Program.
- Representation of non-profit Brooklyn development agency in connection with purchase of federal property; federal and state environmental reviews; preservation of certain historic structures; and redevelopment for commercial and light industrial uses.
- Representation of privately-held developer in connection with acquisition of former manufacturing facility in Brooklyn from public company for redevelopment as commercial office lofts.
- Representation of US public company regarding sale, and remediation of former oil refinery for waterfront development in Long Island City, Queens.
- Representation of Brazilian steel company with respect to US transactional and regulatory matters.
- Representation of international joint venture regarding application of EPA standards to a facility in Northern Africa.
- Representation of Canadian public company regarding acquisition of privately-held US solid waste company.
- Representation of Canadian public company in connection with acquisition of gas-fired power plants located on former industrial sites in the US.
- Representation of Canadian company regarding disposal of solid and hazardous waste in the US.
- Representation of US private equity fund in connection with investigation and remediation of contaminated site in France.
- Representation of Canadian company regarding remediation of hundreds of acres of former mining property in the Western United States, development of a luxury hotel, and resolution of Superfund issues.
- Representation of Russian company regarding Superfund and contaminated sediment issues in major waterway in the Western United States.
- Representation of Chinese company in connection with coal mine acquisitions in the Northeastern United States.
- Representation of Indian company in connection with environmental remediation and permitting for facility expansion in the Northeastern United States.
- Representation of German company in connection with acquisition of chemical manufacturing facilities in the Northeastern United States.
- Representation of UK hedge fund in connection with US environmental matters.
- Representation of Rainforest Alliance in connection with financial incentives for voluntary certification to higher environmental standards in Latin America.
- Representation of non-profit organization in arbitration concerning construction delays arising from discovery of solvents during building renovation.
- Chambers & Partners (2007-2011);
- Best Lawyers in America (2007-2011);
- Law Business Research, International Who's Who of Business Lawyers (2006-2011);
- Practical Law Company, Cross-Border Environmental Handbook (2006-2011);
- New York Super Lawyers (2006-2011).
Bar Association Activities:
- Chair, Environmental Law Committee, New York City Bar Association.
- Advisory Board, Vance Center for International Justice Initiatives, New York City Bar Association.
- Columbia Law School (1985; Charles Evans HughesFellow);
- Columbia College (1981).
- Hon. Myron H. Thompson, Chief Judge, U.S. District Court, M.D. Alabama.