Adam is an experienced litigator specializing in environmental, land use, regulatory and municipal law. He represents private parties, municipalities and government agencies in a wide range of issues including the environmental review and permitting of development projects under the State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA), compliance and resolution of environmental enforcement matters before federal, state, and local agencies, zoning challenges, redevelopment of brownfield properties and site remediation. His work on Superfund cases includes the representation of a multi-national corporation at a complex contaminated sediment site and the representation of a Native American nation as trustee for natural resource damages claims.
As a founding Board member of the newly-formed NYC Climate Action Alliance, Adam is committed to finding environmental solutions that help the City achieve its goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions 80 percent and offsetting remaining emissions to achieve a carbon-neutral NYC by 2050.
Prior to joining Sive, Paget & Riesel in 2011, Adam served as an Assistant Corporation Counsel in the Environmental Law Division of the New York City Law Department, where he defended the City’s initiative to “green” its yellow taxi fleet against claims of preemption under the Clean Air Act, brought litigation to defend the City’s watershed, and defended City infrastructure projects in cases involving SEQRA and ULURP review, the use of City parkland, and eminent domain. Before attending law school, Adam served as the statewide volunteer coordinator and aide to then-U.S. Senator Barack Obama, and as a communications officer in the United States Army Signal Corps.
- Secured summary judgment decision dismissing multi-million-dollar environmental tort claims involving alleged contamination of groundwater
- Ongoing representation of municipal clients in Clean Water Act litigation over sanitary sewer system infrastructure
- Served as environmental counsel for the permitting and environmental review of the New NY Bridge project replacing the Tappan Zee Bridge
- Achieved favorable settlements for condominium association on claims of breach of fiduciary duty, trespass, and breach of contract against condominium sponsors
- Co-Chair, Environmental Impact Review Committee, Section on Environmental & Energy Law of the New York State Bar Association
- Member, New York City Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee
- Member, Westchester County Bar Association, Municipal Law Section
- New York City Environmental Law Leadership Institute (NYCELLI) participant, 2009
- Admitted to practice law in New York State and in federal courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- The Environmental Lawyer’s Role in an Environmental Crisis, The New York Environmental Lawyer 36, no. 2 (Fall 2016) at 44-48
- CLE panelist “SEQR: 2017 Proposed SEQR Amendments,” NYSBA, October 2017
- “Greening the Yellow Taxi Fleet” presentation at City University of New York, November 2010
- ABA teleconference panelist, “Federal Preemption of State and Local Environmental Initiatives: The Latest Battles,” December 2009
- Founding board member, NYC Climate Action Alliance
- Board member and pro bono counsel for Green Guerillas, supporting community gardens in NYC
- Pro bono counsel for Grey Room journal of architecture, art, and politics