Devin’s practice includes renewable energy, litigation, local government law, and brownfields redevelopment. Devin has particular expertise on solar, and has counselled municipal governments, businesses, investors, and nonprofits on legal aspects of developing photovoltaic generation projects. With respect to litigation, Devin has significant experience in administrative law, and particularly with Article 78 litigation.
Devin’s experience includes representing a major Canadian solar developer on a large community solar project in Minnesota, advising a consortium of municipal governments on collectively purchasing solar for municipal properties, and counselling national companies on deployment of solar and other distributed energy at their facilities. Additionally, he has lectured on community solar issues at Columbia University and the New York State Bar Association. He is a member of the Energy Law Committee of the New York City Bar Association, and is a graduate of the New York City Environmental Law Leadership Institute.
He is an honors graduate of Columbia Law School, and holds a B.A. and M.A. in politics from McGill University. He was born in New York City and is a dual citizen of the United States and Canada. He maintains an active pro bono practice, which has included advising nonprofits on sustainability and renewable energy issues domestically and abroad.
- Member, Committee on Energy Law, New York City Bar Association
- Graduate, New York City Environmental Law Leadership Institute
- Regulatory Best Practices For Remediation of Toxic Legacy Contamination, co-author, Blacksmith Institute (2013)
- Storm King environmental law principle at risk after ruling, interviewee Devin McDougall, lohud.com (March 30, 2013)
- Reconciling Lujan v. Defenders of Wildlife and Massachusetts v. EPA on the Set of Procedural Rights Eligible for Relaxed Article III Standing, Columbia Journal of Environmental Law, Vol. 37, No. 1 (2012)
- New York Denies Water Quality Permit for Another Natural Gas Pipeline
- Daniel Riesel and Pamela Esterman to Chair Upcoming Environmental Law Conference
- New York State Submits Area Off Long Island to Federal Government for Potential Wind Leasing
- Suniva Petition for Tariff on Solar Cell and Panel Imports Threatens Progress of U.S. Solar Development
- Maggie Macdonald Speaking at Perrin Environmental Risk & Litigation Conference